Studies show that getting good sleep is crucial for your overall health and well being and can even help you lose weight. It is not surprising that is important, but it is much easier said than done. If you struggle with getting to sleep, try these easy 5 tips:
1. Eliminate caffeine after lunch. Caffeine can stay in your system for up to 6 hours.
2. Avoid big meals later in the day. Our bodies weren't designed to eat and then pass out on the couch. For proper digestion and absorption of nutrients, you help your body out by sitting upright when digesting meals. Eating and then sleeping shortly after can cause acid reflux, as well as put a strain on your body to efficiently absorb nutrients, so noshing late night is a no-no for quality sleep. BUT- if you can put a couple of hours between your last meal and bedtime, your body can efficiently extract nutrients, your metabolism is positively affected, so you might even see your energy level increase and better sleep as well.
3. Take a collagen protein supplement at bedtime. Science backs this one for sleep. Unlike Melatonin which can cause headaches in some people, collagen protein breaks down into glycine, which naturally helps you sleep sounder without any side effects. We like this one that also promotes regeneration of lean muscle- win win.
4. Avoid alcohol. Even moderate amounts of alcohol can negatively affect sleep. If you need it to relax, the best option is a glass of red wine that has some positive aspects like resveratrol (can help with heart health).
5. Try to get some sort of physical exercise. Walking for 20-30 minutes a day, or even just dancing around the house can burn enough calories to help aid in falling asleep and sleeping more soundly.
If you follow a few of these a day, you should see a better night's sleep in no time.