Collagen. You’ve heard about it for your skin, your hair, your nails…but weight loss? We’ve heard all gimmicks : eat this, don't eat that, fat burners, fat blockers, appetite suppressants…and now collagen? To lose weight? Yes… and its no gimmick...its science!
Maybe you recognize the deep, yellow hue and earthy scent of turmeric from your favorite Indian dish or curry. Or perhaps you know that this Middle Eastern spice is what gives mustard it’s yellow color, but did you know that it it’s also been used medicinally since the 13th century?
If you're just starting out with vitamins and supplements, it's hard to know where to begin. These are the top 3 that we recommend to everyone - regardless of age or gender.
We all love to get outdoors to enjoy the warmer weather, but if you suffer from joint pain, you may be a little more hesitant to take that afternoon stroll or take the kids to the park. It can really be disappointing and debilitating. Here are a few things you can do to prevent and alleviate some of the pain and discomfort:
All-natural remedies like Apple Cider Vinegar are the rave these days. Most people would rather try something natural than resort to a medication or drastic change in diet to look and feel better; and with so many success stories out there, why not see why everyone is talking about it?
Everyone is always looking for that quick fix to drop 5 or 10 pounds overnight. Let’s just say patience doesn’t come easy, and so many try the latest crash diet in hopes of speeding up the weight loss process. Unfortunately, most of those plans are neither safe nor effective. For healthy, lasting weight loss you’ll want to stick with the tried and true methods. In a pinch, however, you can LOOK thinner with these easy tips.
- Don’t eat bread, pasta, and dairy for 24 hours. They are not only filling, but eating just a serving or two can cause belly bloat.
- Take a candida yeast ridding supplement. Excess yeast is a common cause of belly bloat so taking a supplement like Candida Complex will help your body eliminate the overgrowth and bloat.
- Stand up straight and roll your shoulders back. Bad posture can make you look bigger than you really are.
- Take a B-6 supplement. It is a natural diuretic that also helps your body metabolize food and convert it to energy.
- Avoid sugar free gum. Chewing gum causes you to swallow air and artificial sweeteners can make you retain water causing bloat.
- Drink lots of water. It sounds counterproductive, but your body will not hold onto water when it has plenty of it, and it also helps to keep your digestive system flowing smoothly.
- Get a spray tan. You can even ask them to add some extra to the outside of arms and legs to create a more narrow look.
Your last checkup went great, but your doctor said she's a little concerned about your blood sugar levels. You're not ready for medicine, but she wants you to try to get it under control before it becomes a problem – what do you do? Luckily, there are a few easy, natural steps to get your levels back to normal and help keep them there.
As we age, several factors contribute to our metabolism slowing down. Here are a few ways to "rev it back up".
- Eat in the morning - Think of your body’s metabolism as a fire. You want to start it with a good long burning foundation first thing and feed it frequently with good burning fuel to keep it going steady and strong. Eating breakfast is a must for jumpstarting your fire in the morning. Without it, your body will likely slow down its fuel burning in an effort to save calories. Even if you just eat a banana or a cereal bar, try to eat something.
- Eat enough - If you cut back on calories too drastically, your body will go into caveman mode and think you need to stockpile calories. You want to shoot for your recommended daily calorie intake (just click here) and try to distribute that evenly throughout the day. If you can, try to split it into 4-5 meals. At the very least, eat 3 times a day. That will keep your fire burning hot and steady.
- Sleep enough - When your body gets enough sleep, which is usually close to 8 hours, it runs more efficiently. You will also have fewer late afternoon sweet cravings when you get enough rest.
- Supplement caffeine - Caffeine can speed up your metabolism for several hours after ingesting it, so if you aren’t already drinking a morning cup of joe, you should really consider adding it to your routine.
- Eat fiber - Fiber can help your body burn fat; so aim for at least 25 grams a day, or take a fiber supplement
- Lift weights - The more muscle mass you have, the higher your resting metabolism will be, so any definition and tone you can add to any muscle in your body will help rev up your metabolism.
- Add more protein to your diet - The protein will help your body build and repair muscle more quickly for those weight sessions you’ll be having. You can easily add more protein with a shake or supplement.
So again, think of fueling the fire throughout the day and make sure to work on building lean muscle. In a few weeks, you should really begin to feel more energized and start seeing results.
You can't open a magazine or turn on the television today without hearing something about probiotics. Well known for their beneficial use in the digestive system, recent studies are now linking probiotics with a healthier immune system and as a necessity for healthy weight management.
Every where you look there’s another great supplement to take for a specific health issue. Some for weight loss…blood pressure…better sleep…but are there supplements that EVERYONE needs to take EVERY DAY? YES – we’re glad you asked!
Probiotics - Most people don’t eat enough healthy enzymes and bacteria to help their body’s digestive system work properly. Combine that with the processed food diet that the average American eats and also the overuse of antibiotics, and you get an imbalanced digestive system that can lead to chronic disease, weight gain, and fluid retention. A probiotic can help you get back to the natural balance your body needs in order to convert vitamins and nutrients into energy and naturally fight off infection and illness.
Calcium - We all know calcium is important for your bones, but did you also know that almost every cell in our body uses it? As we get older, our bodies absorb less calcium from our food which depletes the stored calcium in our bones. Over time, this contributes to osteoporosis and osteopenia. That is why it is so important to add a calcium supplement to your everyday routine. It is also important to note that taking a calcium supplement with magnesium is even better to prevent any constipation from the calcium alone. In order for your body to fully absorb calcium and magnesium, they should be taken in a 2:1 ratio of calcium to magnesium. Lastly, drink some OJ or other Vitamin C rich juice to take your calcium/magnesium supplement because it helps your body to full benefit from the supplement.
Fish or Krill Oil - DHA - With all the news about mercury in the fish we eat, it is easy to pass on the fish, but our bodies still need the omega-3 fatty acids found in fish oil including EPA and DHA. They help to keep your cholesterol levels in a healthy ratio. Fish Oils also help support your bones and also your mood. It helps support healthy levels of serotonin which is the “feel good” hormone. That alone is a good enough reason to take a fish oil supplement. Krill Oil is another type of fish oil supplement that is smaller with no fishy aftertaste while still having all the benefits and possibly more. Also, it may help decrease inflammation in the body which in turn alleviates many pains associated with arthritis.
While losing weight and "looking great" is the goal of many people, as we get older our reasons for weight loss may change dramatically. Studies show that over 60% of Americans are overweight and more than 30% are actually considered obese. The impact to our health is frightening. The risks of heart disease, diabetes, high cholesterol, certain cancers, back and knee pain are just a few of the health issues directly linked to our weight. These medical conditions not only affect our energy levels and overall sense of wellness, they can actually take years off our lives.
So we’ve all heard of Vitamin B12. It’s usually sitting there on the label of your favorite multi-vitamin…sandwiched between Vitamin B6 and C, but do you know why you need it?
Warm weather - FINALLY! Time to dig out those summer clothes...sleeveless shirts, shorts and bathing suits! Get excited about this time of year again! Remember, just a few lifestyle changes can make a BODY CHANGING DIFFERENCE!